Spin Caloritronics is the science and technology devoted to the control of the electron spin with heat in nanoscale structures and devices . It is a subdiscipline of the fields of spintronics, magnetism, and thermoelectrics. A specialized conference series celebrates its 10th edition .
Magnetic insulators, especially yttrium iron garnet (YIG), have been crucial material for spin caloritronics since the discovery of the spin Seebeck effect in the YIG|Pt system . YIG is a ferrimagnet with record-high magnetic quality, but a complex crystal structure with a large unit cell. Inelastic neutron scattering experiments  interpreted by atomistic simulations  are essential for an understanding of spin caloritronic effects.
I this talk I will review the field with emphasis on new developments.
- G.E.W. Bauer, E. Saitoh, and B. van Wees,
Nature Mater. 11, 391-399 (2012).
- Spin Caloritronics X,Groningen (The Netherlands), May 20-24, 2019, spincal2019.webhosting.rug.nl
- K. Uchida et al., Nature Mat. 9, 894–897 (2010).
- A. J. Princep et al., npj Quantum Mater. 2, 63 (2017) and references therein.
- J. Barker and G.E.W. Bauer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 217201 (2016) and in preparation.