Warning: We observe an increase of emails from fake travel portals like . "travelhosting.co.uk". We never send links to such portals so be vigilant!

Dec 8 – 10, 2020 Online only
Online event
Europe/Berlin timezone

Putative spin-nematic phase in the square lattice compound BaCdVO(PO4)2

Dec 8, 2020, 1:40 PM
Online event

Online event

Talk UM: Quantum Phenomena MLZ Users 2020 - Quantum Phenomena


Dr Markos Skoulatos (TUM)


We report neutron-scattering and ac magnetic susceptibility measurements of the two-dimensional spin-1/2 frustrated magnet BaCdVO(PO4)2. At temperatures well below TN≈1K, we show that only 34% of the spin moment orders in an up-up-down-down stripe structure. Dominant magnetic diffuse scattering and comparison to published muon−spin−rotation measurements indicates that the remaining 66% is fluctuating. This demonstrates the presence of strong frustration, associated with competing ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic interactions, and points to a subtle ordering mechanism driven by magnon interactions. On applying magnetic field, we find that at T=0.1 K the magnetic order vanishes at 3.8 T, whereas magnetic saturation is reached only above 4.5 T. We argue that the putative high-field phase is a realization of the long-sought bond-spin-nematic state.

Primary author

Presentation materials

There are no materials yet.